Clinic Director, Long Beach Health Center & Taper Center, Long Beach, CA
APLA Health’s mission is to achieve health care equity and promote well-being for the LGBT and other underserved communities and people living with and affected by HIV. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified health center serving more than 14,000 people annually. We provide 20 different services from 15 locations throughout Los Angeles County, including: medical, dental, and behavioral health care; PrEP counseling and management; health education and HIV prevention; and STD screening and treatment. For people living with HIV, we offer housing support; benefits counseling; home health care; and the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries; among several other critically needed services. Additionally, we are leaders in advocating for policy and legislation that positively impacts the LGBT and HIV communities, provide capacity-building assistance to health departments across the country, and conduct community-based research on issues affecting the communities we serve.
For more information, please visit us at aplahealth.org.
APLA Health seeks an experienced Clinic Director to oversee our Long Beach Health Center and Taper Center. If you are looking for an opportunity to bring your expertise to a community health center then this is the position for you! APLA Health offers great benefits, competitive pay, and a collaborative working environment!
This is a great opportunity to make a difference!
Clinic Director, Long Beach Health Center & Taper Center
Job Location Long Beach Health Center - Long Beach, CA
Position Type Full Time
Education Level 4 Year Degree
Travel Percentage Up to 25%
Job Category Health Care
Under the direction of the CEO or COO and in partnership with the Medical Director, Dental Director and Behavioral Health Director, the Clinic Director will provide mission-focused, strategic leadership and oversight of the Long Beach Health Center and the Taper Center. The Clinic Director will be primarily responsible for providing administrative oversight of the day to day operations of the two sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In partnership with the Medical Director:
- ensure full compliance with all federal, state and local grant requirements including: FQHC, MHLA, and DHSP including submission of grant award budgets and renewals.
- ensure the Clinic facility(s) meets all licensing, certification, regulatory, health plan and other compliance requirements.
- In conjunction with the Medical Director, Dental Director and Behavioral Health Director, ensure the Clinics and all staff meet APLA Health & Wellness policy and procedure requirements.
- responsible for establishing, monitoring and meeting the annual budget for the two facilities including patient goals, provider productivity goals and pharmacy revenue goals.
- responsible (in coordination with Communications) for marketing the Clinics to patients, prospective patients, health plans and others.
- oversee all day to day operations of the Long Beach and Taper Clinics and assist in planning of new programs and services that add services for patients, improve patient care, increase efficiencies, improve profitability or generate new or additional sources of funding.
- develop and maintain administrative and clinical policy and procedures to ensure that the two facilities have proper operational controls and reporting systems to effectively evaluate and manage programs and contractual obligations.
- facilitate the ongoing integration and operation of all administrative and clinical practices of the clinics within APLA Health & Wellness.
- responsible for the overall “Patient Experience” both in the Clinic and in all other interactions with Clinic staff – phone, internet, etc.
- coordinate reconfiguring of the existing space when needed.
- Participate in APLA Health & Wellness quality management and assurance programs and initiatives.
- Assist in the development, implementation and ongoing monitoring of the Clinics risk management plan.
- Serve as the primary Clinic interface with Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, Information Technology and other support areas within APLA and APLA Health & Wellness.
- Serve as the primary Clinic interface with all health plans, insurance companies and other payors.
- Serve as the primary contact with Finance to provide accurate data from the Clinics for patient billing, collection and data management purposes.
- Provide direct supervision to the Senior Office Manager, Front Office staff, and all other administrative staff. In conjunction with the Medical Director, provides guidance to the LVN Supervisor and Medical Assistants. In conjunction with the Dental Director, provides guidance to the Dental Assistants.
- Understand local, state and national issues and actions that affect Clinic patients and advocate and integrate strategies and actions to sustain and expand services.
- Assist in managing costs and increasing productivity / profitability by continually looking at data. Identify opportunities and propose actions to improve quality, improve productivity, reduce costs, improve staff morale and the improve the patient experience.
OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED TO MEET BUSINESS NEEDS.
The Clinic Director should have the following type of experience and qualifications:
- Master's Degree and three years’ experience in operational management in a clinic or hospital or BA and five years in operational management in a clinic or hospital.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required. Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Ryan White CARE Act Clinic experience a plus. Previous supervisory experience required. Interest in working with underserved communities including members of the LBGT community and people living with HIV/AIDS required.
- Knowledge of clinic operations, utilization review, quality management, patient billing, accounting, budgeting and financial reporting, government and private grant management, public health issues and concerns required.
- Effectively supervise and motivate assigned staff and volunteers; manage multiple aspects of varied clinical and support programs; monitor and evaluate clinic and support activities; communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Work in a dynamic, rapidly changing and fast growing environment. Working with the CEO/COO and Site Medical Director establish and monitor budget(s); course correct as necessary. Write grant proposals / and / or assist with writing grant proposals.
- Advocate on behalf of APLA Health & Wellness and its patients. Maintain strict patient confidentiality.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This is primarily an office position that requires only occasional bending, reaching, stooping, lifting and moving of office materials weighing 25 pounds or less. The position requires daily use of a personal computer and requires entering, viewing, and revising text and graphics on the computer terminal and on paper.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license; proof of auto liability insurance; and have the use of a personal vehicle for work related purposes.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.