Assistant Counsel, Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara, CA, US
Worker Category :Regular Full-Time
Job Summary (General Overview, reporting to, work environment)
Under the general supervision of the Director of Legal Affairs, this position will be part of a small team ensuring that CenCal Health, a public agency, complies with all applicable laws and regulations and its State Contract, and that the best interests of CenCal Health are represented and protected in all contract and other legal matters and negotiations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice to management and staff on legal and regulatory issues, including compliance with CenCal Health’s State Contract and all laws and regulations governing Medi-Cal and other public health programs operated by the agency.
- Draft and revise health care provider contracts, letters of agreement and memoranda of understanding, including exhibits, attachments and amendments. Review and revise vendor agreements and negotiate terms as needed.
- Prepare other official documents and regulatory and administrative filings as required.
- Assist in litigation matters, including coordinating with outside counsel, researching issues, researching and reviewing internal records, assisting in reviewing and drafting filings.
- Draft and maintain legal policies and procedures.
- Perform other legal functions as required, including, without limitation, assisting in state hearings, responding to Public Record Act requests, assisting in the preparation and/or review of requests for proposals, responding to subpoenas.
- Work on special projects/duties as requested.
Skills/Knowledge/Abilities (Indicate Required or Desired)
- Excellent drafting skills required; experience and education in legal document writing
- Excellent public relations, oral and written communication skills required, as well as ability to analyze and explain written documents and reports
- Requires ability to set and meet strict timeframes to complete projects that are time sensitive
- Must be detail oriented, flexible and able to both determine and change priorities
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision, but also a team player able to actively coordinate with others and take direction as required
- Strong computer skills required. Must be proficient in Word and Excel. Database experience a plus.
- Experience in health care and/or government agency setting
- Continuous Learning: Spends time and energy to learn new approaches, tools, and methodologies to stay abreast and move ahead in position/field.
- Computer Skills: Ability to quickly assimilate and use computer operating systems and applications. Advanced skills with computer programs including MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Interpersonal /Customer Services Skills: Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations. Nurtures internal and external customers to develop confidence, trust and long-term relationships/partnerships.
- Initiative & Motivation: Displays strong personal initiative and motivation to achieve desired performance results. Takes on tasks and assumes responsibility without being asked to do so. Takes charge in the absence of detailed instructions and/or plans.
- Results Orientation: The ability to focus on the desired result of one’s own or one’s unit’s work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
- Thoroughness: Ensuring that one’s own and others’ work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Flexibility: Displays ability to quickly adapt to changing requirements, special assignments and workload re-prioritization. Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Walk the Talk: Do what you say you are going to do. Be accountable for your actions.
- World Class Mindset: Behaves in an honest, fair, and highly ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Punctual, exhibits professional email etiquette. Adhere to company and department standards. Commitment to excellence
Education and Experience
- Graduation from ABA accredited law school
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in positions of comparable and increasing responsibility