Medical Director, Center for Functional Medicine, Cleveland, OH
Medical Director, Center for Functional Medicine
The Medical Director of the Center for Functional Medicine is a physician leader who is currently practicing medicine. This medical leader will serve in a key role in developing the Center for Functional Medicine across the Cleveland Clinic enterprise. The Medical Director will ensure the alignment of the patient experience, research, medical education, and clinical quality initiatives for the Center.
The Medical Director for the Center for Functional Medicine will be positioned as a leader for the Center for Functional Medicine with Cleveland Clinic clinical leadership, including but not limited to, Institute and Department Chairs, The Wellness Institute team, research and education experts and support teams.
The Medical Director of the Center for Functional Medicine will have:
- Clinical leader and experience with Functional Medicine
- Physician leadership experience
- Ability to work with diverse leaders, caregivers, students and other stakeholders
- Superior communication skills, emotional intelligence and the ability to function in a rapidly changing environment
A commitment of approximately 30% of time is expected, potentially to be adjusted as appropriate, as necessitated by the role, individual and organizational needs.
Key functions will involve:
- Strategic vision and tactical implementation in the on-going development of the Center for Functional Medicine
- Building an internal and external referral network that results in chronically ill patients coming to the Cleveland Clinic Center Functional Medicine
- Building a patient focused functional medicine practice, at multiple locations
- Assisting in the development of programs providing education to medical students, residents, and medical staff about functional medicine
- Advising in the development of research studies to document outcomes in a clinically rigorous fashion
The Medical Director of Center for Functional Medicine will plan, build and direct a coordinated, uniformly excellent functional health and medicine Center for the Cleveland Clinic. The Center will be inclusive of all three components of the academic mission: clinical care, research and teaching, for community-based and tertiary care out-patient services. The Center’s programs will be based on the most advanced data driven science. The research and innovation are expected to advance Functional Medicine and the Cleveland Clinic, which will be recognized nationally as the center of excellence.
Strategic Planning and Program Development
- Work with Administrative Leadership, Director of Center for Functional Medicine, Collaboration Steering Committee, and Institute for Functional Medicine to determine and refine the overall mission, vision, goals and objectives of the Center. Ensures the implementation of a strategic plan that makes consistent and timely progress towards Center goals.
- Develop a business model and plan to sustainably deliver Functional Medicine.
- Consistently manage projects and multiple tasks to meet goals, budgets and timelines; involve others in determining project scope and establishing realistic plans; procure resources to accomplish project tasks; complete projects efficiently and effectively.
- Partner with Center administrator to ensure effective personnel oversight including hiring, onboarding, training, supervision, performance evaluation, mentoring, instilling commitment to quality and excellence, and disciplinary action when appropriate, as per established policy. Ensure quality of care provided by staff in the Center.
- Work with Center leadership and Wellness Institute to prepare Center’s annual budget; establish and achieve financial goals; monitor status and projections of all accounts; report regularly financial status to Center leadership; ensure budget compliance; oversight of project budgets and day-to-day accounting functions by tracking and monitoring expenditures and reconciling expenses with accounts.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures, consonant with the Cleveland Clinic.
- Provide oversight and support for Center Leads in Research, and Education. Assures the necessary administrative mechanisms and resources are present to support Center activities.
- Monitor Center productivity and performance to identify and evaluate clinical operations strengths and challenges.
- Actively engage in patient care.
- Work with Center Research Director to ensure effective personnel oversight, project management, budgetary compliance, financial management, IRB applications, conflict-of-interest/ ethical considerations, inter-departmental relations, operational flow, and study completion within IRB guidelines.
- Monitor Center productivity and performance to identify and evaluate research program strengths and challenges.
- Work with Center Education Director to oversee educational programs in: undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education (including Fellowship and Clinical Scholars programs). These programs will be managed within the overall CFM budgetary process with prioritization occurring from the guidance of the CFM Steering Committee.
- Monitor Center productivity and performance to identify and evaluate education program strengths and challenges.
- Co-Lead with Education Director, and Center Director to interface closely with Institute for Functional Medicine to guide education efforts.
- Work with leadership to develop and implement a communications strategy aligned with Center mission, vision, and goals.
- Strengthen Center’s visibility, influence, and leadership internally and with physicians in the community; locally and regionally within other health systems, payers, community-based organizations; and nationally as a model of producing value-based care.
- Develop effective methods of communicating Center activities
- Increase inter-professional engagement with the Medical Staff and employed staff across the CCF enterprise.
- Represent the Center internally on hospital committees; meetings with and presentations to providers, administrators, and staff; and externally to community health centers, organizations, patient groups, regulatory and granting agencies.
- Articulate the Center mission, vision and goals through presentations, written communication, and participation in relevant conferences and meetings.
- Schedule, coordinate agenda, and lead regular meetings of Center leadership, staff, and stakeholders.
- Contribute to and support the dissemination of research findings, clinical services, educational activities, and Center accomplishments.
- Conform to CCF standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, to ensure that exceptional patient care is provided. “Patients First”
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Academic appointment available at the appropriate level based on experience and publication history.
Cleveland Clinic is one of the world's largest and busiest health centers. Patients come to Cleveland Clinic from all over the world. We offer advanced treatment for all illnesses and disorders of the body. We enjoy a strong reputation for outstanding quality care. U.S News & World Report has declared that we are the number two hospital in the country. In cardiology and cardiac surgery, we lead the nation.
Our Heart Center has been ranked number one in America for 21 years in row in U.S. News and World Report. Cleveland Clinic's Glickman Urological & Kidney Institute and Digestive Disease Institute are ranked very near the top, and our specialties of orthopaedics, otolaryngology, nephrology, neurology/neurological surgery, rheumatology, pulmonary, endocrinology, gynecology, ophthalmology and geriatrics are each among America's ten best in their fields.
Other specialties noted for national excellence include cancer and psychiatry. Cleveland Clinic Children's offers highly specialized pediatric care in a family-centered atmosphere. It has been ranked the best children's hospital in Ohio by Child magazine.
Cleveland Clinic was founded in 1921 as a not-for-profit group practice, integrating clinical and hospital care with research and physician education. In addition to our Cleveland location, we have Cleveland Clinic Florida, with a unified medical campus in Weston, Florida, offering the full spectrum of care.
Cleveland Clinic has more than 3,000 salaried physicians on staff, representing approximately 120 specialties and subspecialties. In 2015, they provided a total of 6.62 million visits. Patients came to us from across America and from more than 180 nations. We also lead an extensive system of community hospitals in Cleveland called the Cleveland Clinic Hospitals.
This system is made up of Cleveland Clinic and Fairview Hospital, Lutheran Hospital, Marymount Hospital, Euclid Hospital, Hillcrest Hospital, Medina Hospital, South Pointe Hospital, Akron General Hospital, and Avon Hospital. With 4,450 staffed beds, Cleveland Clinic Hospitals offers broad geographic coverage, a full continuum of care, improved quality and lower cost of care to Northeast Ohio residents.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Smoke/drug free environment.
Any application submitted without a CV will delay the review process
Please be advised that all information entered in your application will only be shared with Cleveland Clinic and will not be distributed to third parties.